New dads can often be left feeling unsupported in the face of the huge changes that happen around the birth of their child.
At this time there is such a focus on mum and baby that dad can be left feeling pushed out.
So what can you do if you are a new dad and feel this way?
- Be honest with yourself about how you feel. It is OK to have negative feelings about the changes that are happening.
- Talk to your partner, this will help you both navigate the changes your relationship is going through. Talking together will help you work out how you both see your role as a father.
- Talk to other dads. Often you will find they have felt/do feel the same as you and can understand. they might have ideas to help you with some of the changes you are going through.
- Read books/research online. Being informed can help you understand the changes making them easier to manage.
If you feel your depression is not changing or is getting worse, seek professional support from your GP or a health visitor. Consider discussing things with a Counsellor, who can help you understand the root cause of your depression. Getting to the root cause can allow you to make different choices and implement changes that really support where you want to be as a father.
- 07969 189626
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org