While it can be fun in the sun, babies and young children can easily become overheated and dehydrated.
Here are a few simple tips to help keep them safe in the heat:
- Stay in the shade and make sure you use a high factor sunscreen at all times.
- Dress children in loose clothes made of cotton. Avoid synthetic fabrics.
- Give babies lots of nappy-free time.
- Run a cool bath before bedtime and keep night clothes and bedclothes loose.
- Playing in a paddling pool is a great way to keep toddlers cool (supervise your child at all times near water).
- Make sure your child wears a sun hat and offer lots of drinks.
- Keep your childs bedroom cool by closing closing the blinds or curtains during the day.